Producing an event and making art
When hosting an event in Vancouver, the City encourages you to maintain green standards. We encourage event holders to green their event by reducing waste, water, and energy use, using fair trade or organic food, and using local suppliers and locally sourced products.
Greening your event
How you plan your event plays an important role in making Vancouver more sustainable. Here are some suggestions for greening your event:
- Use reusable food containers, dishes, cutlery, and mugs, and do not use polystyrene (styrofoam) containers
- Get equipment and supplies with reduced packaging, and ask your vendors to reduce their waste
- Develop a waste management plan with recycling and composting containers and recruit volunteers to manage the stations
- Serve tap water - which is glacial mountain water purified in a state of the art filtration plant - and encourage guests to bring refillable bottles
- Make your event easy to get to by transit, bike, or on foot
- Consider a bike valet service with a monitored bike parking area
- On promotional materials, highlight transit and cycling options and discourage driving
Find information on event and film permits, arts grants and funding, and public art.