Home > Streets and transportation > Parking > Residential parking permits > Short-term and visitor parking permits

Short-term and visitor parking permits

Short-term residential parking permits are good for rental vehicles, courtesy cars, borrowed cars, and can also be used if you have recently moved to Vancouver from another province.

Visitor residential parking permits can be used for out-of-town visitors, housesitters, homecare providers, and contractors that need street parking on your block.

Reserve street parking for your moving truck

To ensure your movers can conveniently access your property, apply for a temporary special zone permit to reserve street parking for the moving truck.

How to get a permit

To buy a permit, you or your guest can visit our parking permit offices in person.

Before you visit:

  1. Make sure the vehicle is insured.
  2. Gather the required documents based on your situation below.

Borrowing someone's car

Hiring a contractor to work in your home

Hosting a housesitter while you travel

Hosting an out-of-town visitor

Moving from out of province

Needing homecare service

Renting a vehicle

Using a courtesy vehicle

Please use your permit responsibly

If you use your short-term residential parking permit with a vehicle other than the one it was approved for, you may not be allowed to purchase a residential parking permit in the future.

As well, you are responsible for any temporary permits issued to out-of-town visitors, housesitters, homecare providers, or contractors parking at your home.

Short-term and visitor parking permit fees

Type of temporary permit Rate
Contractor $5.36 per day ($5.10 + $0.16 GST)
Courtesy vehicle No charge
Homecare See annual resident parking permit fees
West End Permit zone use the non-market rate of $79.45 per year
All other $10.71 per week ($10.20 + $0.51 GST

You pay for the permit when you apply for it. We accept cash, cheque, debit, and credit card.

Parking permits for students

From another part of BC

Your insurance must be changed to show your address is in the permit zone before you can get a residential parking permit.

From outside BC

You must either:

  • Change your vehicle insurance to ICBC to show your address is in the permit zone
  • Apply for Exemption Status through ICBC. Contact ICBC at 604-661-2800 or 1-800-663-3051 if you are outside Vancouver.

Not eligible for permits

Trucks are not eligible for residential parking permits.

Under section 20 of the Street and Traffic Bylaw, vehicles longer than 6.4 m (21 feet) or higher than 2.2 m (7 feet and 2.61 inches) are not eligible for residential parking permits. This includes:

  • Large motorhomes
  • Trucks
  • Limousines

Street and Traffic bylaw 

Uninsured vehicles

Residential parking permits are not valid, nor are they issued, on uninsured vehicles. Vehicles without proper insurance are prohibited under the BC Motor Vehicles Act from parking on the street or lanes.