Home > Streets and transportation > Transportation safety > Signs, signals, and regulations
Bike box signs on Pacific Boulevard

Signs, signals, and regulations

Our priorities are the safety of:

  • People walking and cycling 
  • At-risk groups like children, seniors, and those with mobility challenges

We use signs, signals, and painted road markings to let you know where you can walk or ride your bicycle safely.

Flashing beacons to enhance crosswalk safety

We are testing rectangular rapid flashing beacons (RRFBs) at three crosswalks in the City:

  1. Victoria Drive and Grant Street
  2. West Boulevard and 42nd Avenue
  3. Elliot Street and Waverly Avenue

When you cross the street at these locations, press the button to turn on the high-intensity light and let people driving or cycling know you’re crossing.

Flashing beacons are suited where many people cross the road, drivers rarely stop, and a pedestrian signal isn’t essential.

Watch a video about how the beacons work.

Crossing signals

Pedestrian safety traffic signal

Pedestrian crossing signal

The walking pedestrian light means cross the street within the painted crosswalk lines if it is safe.

The flashing hand means it's too late to cross if you haven't already started so wait until the next walking pedestrian light.

The steady hand means don't cross and wait until the next walking pedestrian light.

Pedestrian safety countdown timer

Countdown timer

The countdown timer may appear next to the signals above, depending on the intersection. When you see the flashing hand and countdown, it's too late to cross if you haven't already so wait until the next walking pedestrian light. 

Road signs and markings

Know what these signs and symbols mean to help keep you safe, however you're travelling.

Cycling road signs and markings

We post different signs and painted pavement markings to show bicycle routes and lanes.


Traffic calming signs

We install traffic calming signs only when we implement traffic calming measures, and not on request.

Where it's ok to cycle, ride, and skate

Hoverboards, motorized scooters, and Segways are currently not allowed on City streets, sidewalks, paths (including the Seawall), and protected bike lanes.

Vehicle Roads Sidewalks Seawall and park paths Protected bike lanes
Bikes Yes No Yes1 Yes
Electric-assisted bikes Yes No No Yes
Skateboards, push scooters, rollerblades, and skates Yes2 No Yes Yes
Motorized skateboards or scooters No No No No
Segways No No No No
Hoverboards No No No No
Motorized wheelchairs No Yes Yes No
Motorbikes and limited-speed motorcycles Yes No No No


  1. Where signs permit
  2. Local streets only

What's new

Learn about the updates on skateboards in protected bike lanes and Street and Traffic Bylaw amendments.

Skateboards in protected bike lanes


Elephant's Feet


Rules of the road

The BC Motor Vehicle Act sets the rules for how motor vehicles (including low-powered vehicles) operate on roads and sidewalks next to roads in BC.

Our Street and Traffic Bylaw regulates how City streets are used by all road users. Our Parks Control Bylaw regulates how park paths and the Seawall are used.

Read the regulations for using a bicycle and low-powered vehicle in this section.

Report an issue or request a service

Report street light issues

Report traffic or pedestrian signal issues

Use this VanConnect form to request traffic or pedestrian signal changes, additions, and repairs.

Street lights on Union Street

Report street light issues

Use our app to report street light issues in Vancouver.

Use this VanConnect form to request sidewalk repairs in the city.

Request sidewalk repairs

Use this VanConnect form to request sidewalk repairs in the city.

Use this VanConnect form to request sign repair in the city.

Request sign repair

Use this VanConnect form to request sign repair in the city.

Report stop sign issues

Report damaged stop signs

A damaged stop sign can be a hazard to pedestrians and vehicles.

Phone 3-1-1 immediately to report signs that are damaged, missing, or blocked (for example, by branches).

Request stop sign changes

Phone 3-1-1 to request:

  • Stop signs be installed at an uncontrolled intersection
  • Directional changes for existing stop signs
  • Additional stop signs be installed (for example, change a two-way stop to a four-way stop)
Report traffic or pedestrian signal issuesRequest sign repair