Follow this checklist to start the application process:
Download the Guide for Applicants and the Application Form from the links at right.
NOTE: When you fill out the form, take care to follow the instructions and complete all the checklists.
- Submit your application to the Fire Recruiting office (address at right).
- Our recruitment officers will review your application to ensure that you hold the minimum required qualifications. You may be given special consideration if you exceed the minimum requirements.
A detailed selection process appears in our VFRS Guide for Applicants. This section groups the different steps into phases.
After the recruitment officers have determined your application meets the minimum required qualifications, you will:
- Write the mechanical and general aptitude test.
- Take the physical performance assessment (combat challenge).
Participate in a panel interview.
During the interview, be sure to discuss special skills or training you have, and any team or group activities you participate in. Volunteer experience is an asset.
- Provide professional and personal references for us to contact.
The second phase of the selection process is more involved, and you will be responsible to pay for required costs. This phase includes:
- A firefighting skills evaluation. You do not need previous firefighting experience to complete the skills evaluation.
- A health and medical evaluation with the City’s Occupational Health Physician. This evaluation costs $430, and is required to ensure that you are medically suited to perform firefighting duties.
- A criminal record check to be performed by the law enforcement branch closest to your residence.
- An interview with the General Manager/Fire Chief, or designate officer.
Once you are selected to join Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services, you will participate in our five week training camp. When you are a regular member of the service, you will be placed on probation for one year, with a test after the first six months.