Jobs with the Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services
“People who care about you.”
Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services operates through 20 fire halls around Vancouver, one training academy, and two fire prevention offices.
The Fire Department employs more than 800 men and women who respond to a wide variety of emergency and non-emergency incidents, including fires, motor vehicle accidents, and other medical situations.
We recommend and enforce bylaws to encourage public safety awareness. We train the general public in fire safety and prevention, CPR, and First Aid, and run a program to give high school students practical firefighting experience.
A job with Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services will put you on the front line protecting our city. If you share our passion, then this could be your career.
Interested in a career with Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services? The 2013 recruitment process begins with information sessions scheduled during the spring and summer. You must preregister to attend an information session.
Contains information about working as a firefighter for Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services. Includes qualifications, the selection process, conditions of employment, and more.
All information and Physical Performance Tryout (PPT) sessions take place at Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services Training Department, 1330 Chess Street
Information session dates:
- Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 6:00pm
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 6:00pm
- Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 6:00pm
- Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 6:00pm
Register for an information session
Physical Performance Tryout (PPT) dates:
- Sunday, April 21, 2013, 9:00am to 2:00pm (30 participants)
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 6:00pm to 9:00pm (20 participants)
- Wednesday, June 16, 2013, 6:00pm to 9:00pm (25 participants)
- Thursday July 18, 2013, 6:00pm to 9:00pm (25 participants)
Register for a PPT session
Applications accepted: September 16, 2013 to October 18, 2013
(application forms will be available here at the start of the application intake period)
- Written exam: Saturday, November 2, 2013
- PPA and ladder raise: Saturday, November 23, 2013
- Interviews: Monday, November 25, 2013 to Wednesday, December 18, 2013 (first group)
Interested in becoming a Vancouver firefighter? Learn about Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services jobs, how we train, and how to prepare yourself to work with us.
Are you ready for a rewarding career? Learn about Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services application and selection process and start the ball rolling!
Attention Vancouver youth: Watch for the next time we run our special camps that give elite groups of high school students the total firefighting experience. Do you have what it takes?