Bed and breakfast business licence
Processing of applications
Access to the Business Licence Office is by appointment only. Walk-in service and drop-in appointments are not available.
To help process your applications more quickly, we have moved to a digital approach for applications, enquiries, and payments:
- Submit your business licence application by mail or email
- Renew your business licence online
- Customer enquiries, contact us online
Note Processing times are currently delayed. We will contact you with questions or next steps once we have processed your request.
Get support for your local business
A bed and breakfast (B&B) is a temporary accommodation in a home that includes breakfast. To run a B&B in your home, you need a rental property business licence.
Before you apply for a licence
- Your address needs to be in zone that allows for bed and breakfasts. To check, contact the Development and Building Services Centre.
- Your home needs to meet the safety requirements in our bed and breakfast accommodation guidelines PDF file (80 KB). To meet the requirements, apply for a building permit.
Related business licences
Steps to getting a bed and breakfast licence
Step 1: Gather required documents
Gather the following documents, based on who applies and your business structure.
As a business owner, you need:
- Copy of your current, government-issued photo ID
As a representative applying for the licence, you need:
As a limited or incorporated business, you need:
- Copy of the business owner's current, government-issued photo ID
- Provincial or extra-provincial certificate of incorporation issued by the BC Corporate Registry (A federal certificate of incorporation issued by Industry Canada won't be accepted)
- Notice of Articles showing your company's list of directors
Step 2: Submit application and pay fees
A. Fill out application
Complete the rental property application PDF file (74 KB).
B. Review fees
Review fees PDF file (417 KB)
- Licence expires each year on December 31
- Fee is prorated in your first year based on when you start business
How to pay
- Cheque or money order (made payable to the City of Vancouver)
- Debit card
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
Note We don't accept credit card cheques.
C. Submit application and fees
Provide your application, required documents, and fee payment either:
Step 3: Get licence and review licence requirements
After you get your licence, you need to:
- Live in your home
- Provide guests with breakfast in your home
- Rent a maximum of two bedrooms in your home
- Host a maximum of four guests, with no other tenants
- Provide guests with a parking space
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
PO Box 7878
Vancouver, BC V6B 4E2
Contact information, partner agencies, and website policies