What you need to know
Development permits make sure neighbourhoods are livable and functional. They do this by regulating the built form and making sure land uses are appropriately located.
- What is a development?
- When you need a separate development permit before getting a building permit
- Steps to getting a development permit
New permit and service fees in effect January 1, 2024
Due to service levels and holiday hours, applications received in December may be:
- Processed in the new year
- Subject to 2024 fees
Submit your completed application as soon as possible to be eligible for processing in 2023.
Reduce wait times: We are making changes to speed up permitting and reduce wait times. Learn about changes to development
Streamline building permits: To help improve permit processing times, new developments who require excavation and shoring may be eligible to receive their building permit in advance of their development permit. Learn more about the process
Don't follow the steps to getting a development permit if you are:
- Renovating or building a house or laneway house: Review the steps to renovating or building a house or laneway house
- A small business owner planning a renovation or looking to start a business: Find out how the Small Business Renovation Centre can help
- Developing a childcare centre: Review the steps for a childcare centre
Step 1: Research your property, engage a designer, and contact City staff
Step 2: Submit development permit application and pay fees
Step 3: Application is reviewed and next steps provided
Step 4: A decision on your application is made
Step 5: Development permit issued and apply for a building permit
Permits, inspections, and forms
Review regulations and apply for the required permits for your construction or renovation project.
Book or cancel an electrical, plumbing, building, fire sprinkler, gas, or sidewalk inspection for your construction or renovation project.
View and download the building or development permit application forms and submission requirements.
The Development and Building Centre is open for in-person scheduled appointments or payments.
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Centre
515 West 10th Avenue, Ground Floor
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8