New permit and service fees in effect January 1, 2024
Due to service levels and holiday hours, applications received in December may be:
- Processed in the new year
- Subject to 2024 fees
Submit your completed application as soon as possible to be eligible for processing in 2023.
Apply for a permit for a residential solar photovoltaic (PV) panel system to collect the sun’s energy and convert it to electricity.
The most common type of residential solar system is a grid-tied system, which allows the building to use its own solar-generated electricity. When the system isn’t producing electricity at night, electricity is provided by the electrical grid. Recent technology improvements have allowed for:
- Easier installations
- Lighter panels
- More cost effective solutions
One of the benefits of a grid-tied system is that any excess electricity produced by the system can be fed back to the electrical grid through a process known as net metering.
Apply for a solar PV permit
- Download our permit guide PDF file (242 KB).
- Contact the Development and Building Services Centre
- Staff will assess your eligibility and determine the type of permit you need and whether or not a design review is required. Review the criteria PDF file (52 KB). Important note An electrical permit is required.
- Gather your submission requirements as set out in our guide, and submit your permit application.
If you need a development or building permit, use this checklist PDF file (193 KB) while preparing your submission.
- Receive your permits to begin construction.