Our water is collected in the Capilano, Seymour, and Coquitlam reservoirs. On an average day, the water system delivers 360-million litres of high-quality water throughout the city.
Reducing water consumption, and being aware of what goes into the sewer are important parts of working towards the goal of becoming the greenest city in the world by 2020.
- Provide the best drinking water of any major city by 2020 (View water quality results by neighbourhood)
- Conserve potable water, and ensure water is available at all times
- Protect Vancouver's waterways, and the environment
- Ensure we are prepared for emergencies, including major disasters
- Develop neighbourhood-scale energy centres that use low-carbon, renewable resources to provide heat and hot water
Many of our water regulations are set by Metro Vancouver and implemented and enforced by us.