Task force priorities
- Consult and collaborate with Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh in the development of the first 5-year UNDRIP action plan.
- Begin formal urban Indigenous engagement with the diversity of the urban Indigenous community.
- Develop and strengthen relationships at the Council to Council and staff to staff level through action planning.
- Lay the framework for sustainable, ongoing intergovernmental partnership in UNDRIP implementation for the first 5 years and beyond.
In 2021, City Council created the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People (UNDRIP) Task Force:
- Tasked with providing recommendations and a strategy to implement UNDRIP External website, opens in new tab in the City of Vancouver
- Was assembled in partnership with the Musqueam Indian Band, Squamish Nation, and Tsleil-Waututh Nation
City Council representatives
Musqueam Indian Band representatives
Squamish Nation representatives
Task Force is established
Task Force provides mid-point update to City Council
Task Force delivers final report (City UNDRIP Strategy) with 79 calls to action
Task Force reconvenes at the MSTV intergovernmental table and begins developing a 5-year action plan to implement the strategy
Anticipated completion of the 5-year action plan